Posts Tagged ‘children

The reported annual incidence of NF is 2-3 cases. Our yearly incidence of 14 cases, therefore, represents one of the highest ever reported worldwide; this might be a result of the general confusion surrounding the term NF and our inclusion of other necrotizing soft-tissue infections. Recently, Khan et al. reported about 20 cases in 15 […]

Over the four-year period, a total of 56 patients were treated, out of which 32 (57.1%) were children <15 years, while the remaining 24 (42.9%) were adults aged >15 years. There were 31 males and 25 females, giving the male-to-female ratio of 1.2:1; the corresponding sex ratios for children and adults were 1.7:1 and 1:1.2, […]

This is a four-year prospective descriptive study of all consecutive patients with NF treated at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, from January 2001 to December 2004. Approval for the study was obtained from the hospital’s ethical committee on research. Permission to include the patients in the study was sought from each patient or […]

INTRODUCTION In 1952, Wilson coined the term necrotizing fasciitis (NF) to describe a rapidly progressive inflammation and necrosis of subcutaneous tissue and fascia. Before then, the disease had been described under various nomenclature, such as hemolytic gangrene, acute streptococcal gangrene, gangrenous erysipelas, necrotizing erysipelas, suppurative fasciitis and hospital gangrene, just to mention a few. However, […]

Children with emergency neurologic morbidities accounted for 15.6% in this study, similar to previous reports from other parts of Nigeria. Those aged five years and under accounted for the majority (77.0%) of the children studied with the modal age group of 1-2 years. The predominance of children in this age is due to their vulnerability […]

Six-hundred-four patients were admitted with neurological morbidity consisting of 15.6% out a total of 3,868 patients admitted during the five-year period. One-hundred-ninety-eight patients (32.8%) had incomplete records with regards to outcome. A breakdown of the number of patients per year is shown in Table 1.

MATERIALS AND METHODS Benin City is the capital of Edo State in southern Nigeria which is holoendemic for malaria (Bruce Chwat). There are two distinct seasonal periods— rainy season, which spans from April to September, and dry season from October to March. Benin City is cosmopolitan and has one tertiary hospital, University of Benin Teaching […]

top