SECONDARY SCHOOL ATHLETES: A STUDY OF MOUTHGUARDS: RESULTS

10 Dec
2009

RESULTS

In this survey, the 1,127 adolescent athletes who completed and returned the questionnaires gave a completion rate of 93.9%. Table 1 shows the age and gender distribution of the athletes, with more boys than girls involved in sports.

Table 1. Age and Gender Distribution of the Subjects

Age GroupFrequencyTotal
(Years)MalesFemales
n%

n

%n%
12-1538959.0

270

41.0

65958.5
16-1929462.8

174

37.2

46841.5
Total68360.6

444

39.4

1127100.0

Table 2 gives the distribution of these adolescent athletes according to sports with football (soccer) having the highest frequency of 631 (56.0%). Field events accounted for 150 (13.3%) of the sports and basketball athletes, followed with 92 (8.2%). canadian antibiotics

Table 2. Distribution of the Subjects According to Sports

SportFrequencyPercent
Football (soccer)

631

56.0

Basketball

92

8.2

Taekwondo

2

0.2

Judo

6

0.5

Table tennis

61

5.4

Long tennis

2

0.2

BadmintonCO

0.3

Lawn Tennis

42

3.7

Hand ball

21

1.9

Swimming

10

0.9

Gymnastics

8

0.7

Boxing

16

1.4

Volleyball

21

1.9

Hockey

5

0.4

Snookers

1

0.1

*Field events

150

13.3

General sports

56

5.0

Total

1127

100
*Field events here included long jump, high jump, javelin, discus, shotputt, golf, etc.)

Figure 1 shows that distribution of the oro-facial injuries and concussions sustained according to the type of sporting activities (contact or noncontact sports). Contact sports accounted for 77.6% of the oral injuries, while 22.4% was due to noncontact sports.

Table 3. Distribution of Types of Oral Injuries

InjuryWithout Mouthguardn           %With Mouthguardn          %nTotal%
Laceration

73

54.9

60

45.1

133

34.2
Fracture of teeth

24

53.3

21

46.7

45

11.6
Loosening of teeth

24

66.7

12

33.3

36

9.2
Blood collection under gum (Hematomas)

67

62.6

40

37.4

107

27.5
Multiple injuries

52

76.5

16

23.5

68

17.5
Total

240

61.7

149

38.3

389

100.0
X2= 10.63676, df=4, p<0.05 (Statistically significant differences)

Distribution of the types of oral injuries with and without mouthguards during the time of the sports injuries is shown in Table 3. The prevalence of oral injuries was significantly lower while wearing mouthguards (p<0.05). tadacip 20

Table 4. Relationship Between Knowledge of Mouthguard and Its Usage in Sports by the Athletes

Use of Mouthguard in Sports Yes       No      Total
Knowledge of   Yes       187      549      736 mouthguard                (25.4)    (74.6)    (65.3)
Chi-square (X2)=45.23896*; df=l; *p<0.01 (Statistically significant) (Percentages are in parentheses)

In all, 736 (65.3%o) of the athletes claimed they know what “mouthguard” means, while 391 (34.7%) were unaware. However, only 221 (19.6%, of which more were boys than girls) claimed they use mouthguards for sports. The relationship between knowledge about mouthguards and the usage in sports by the athletes is shown in Table 4. Statistically, more athletes who knew about mouthguards were not using them for sports (p<0.01).

Figure 1. Distribution of the Oral Injuries

Figure 1. Distribution of the Oral Injuries According to Sporting Activities (Contact and Noncontact Sports)

Six-hundred-seventy-two (59.6%) of the athletes believed that the wearing of mouthguards during sporting activities would reduce the chances of sustaining oral injuries, while the remaining 455 (40.4%) felt otherwise.
Apcalis Oral Jelly

Two-hundred-six (18.3%) claimed knowledge of the three types of mouthguards, while the remaining majority (81.7%) confessed ignorance. Of those 206 athletes, 120 (58.4%) claimed cost would be the determining factor on the type of mouthguard to use, 35 (16.9%) would base their choices on the convenience of the appliance types, while 51 (24.7%)) would consider the quality and degree of oral protection of the appliance.

top